Monday, September 10, 2007

Getting To Know Your Teen

How well do you and your teen daughter communicate? Does she share her views with you? My daughter and I are pretty close. No, she probably doesn't share all her thoughts with me, but she does share quite a lot. She might come home from school and be so tired from the day that she doesn't say much, but normally around dinner time, she always has something to say. I think that it's good to be close enough with your teen to know what's going on in their lives, while still giving them privacy as well. My daughter is comfortable with me and I know her views on most everything and that keeps me assured that when something comes her way, unexpectedly, I am confident that she will know what to do. But as parents, we don't always know. Today's society is filled with so many dangers and ways for our children to get into trouble. I honestly feel that WHO they hang around with it the key to alot of it. Do you know your teen's friends? If not, now is a good time to try and get to know who their closest friends are, especially if they spend much time with them or go anywhere with them. Still, privacy for teens is very important, so keep that in mind, but if you don't have good communication with your teen, try and open that door by finding a subject to talk about that opens conversation. Talking is good. Try and keep the doors open. You have to let them know that you are interested in what they have to say, while still being a parent. It's hard, I know, but it CAN be accomplished.

No comments: