Thursday, March 26, 2009

About The Parent Taught Driver's Ed Course

After recieving my packet in the mail, I opened it up to find alot of papers stapled together. It included all the things that we will need to get her driver's permit as well as after finishing the course and having held her driver's permit for 6 months, the provisional license as well. I took the stapled pack of paper and read through it so that I could try and understand what to do next. It does not contain the lessons or how to teach. It does, however, give you a listing of all the courses that you can opt to do, instead of the course 101 that they offer for free. I am choosing the free course because some of the other courses are ones that you must pay for through a third party and some of them are hundreds of dollars....if I wanted to pay that much, I would have enrolled her in our local driver's ed. I got online and am finally making heads and tails of the whole thing. It basically offers classes in what is called modules and they break it down into seperate learning lessons. I printed off tons of papers to help get us started. I also want to say here that you have to keep track of the hours and days that you sit down and teach. It cannot be more than 2 hours a day, but after those first 6 hours, you can sign an affidavidt and with the proper paperwork, along with a v.o.e. from school, they can obtain their driver's permit.
Wish me luck, it's alot of paperwork.....but she is willing and happy about the learning experience, as we have already started the lessons.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, I am trying to figure it out. It seems overwhelming to me. I could buy their papers for $100.00 or print them off slowly , over time, for about $300.00. Any advice? I am overwhelmed. :)

Unknown said...

Yes, I am trying to figure it out. It seems overwhelming to me. I could buy their papers for $100.00 or print them off slowly , over time, for about $300.00. Any advice? I am overwhelmed. :)

Debbie, writer of Loving Advice for my Teen said...

What I did, was go through the program one module at a time before I taught it, found a few videos to go along with it (some videos are free online) and then I chose to print out what I thought she needed and we used some of the time viewing it online. I didn't give her ALL the quizes because it was just alot...but she got way more driving time which has really worked for us. I wish you the best of luck on this.