Friday, February 23, 2007

Raising a teenaged daugther

Boy is it hard these days !!! I have already raised 2 daughters and 2 sons, and I just turned 50 years old last week, and I still have a 13 yr. old daughter at home.
My oldest child is now 31 and will be 32 in June, and most of my children are 5 years apart. Things just aren't the same as they used to be. Especially from times when I was growing up.
My mother raised me on little ditties, nursery ryhmes and alot of little "sayings".
One little saying that she always said was " pretty is as pretty does" basically meaning, that if you want to be pretty towards other people, you must not only be pretty on the outside, but have a "pretty" inside, in your ways of being and in your actions. You must act "pretty" towards others and that will make you a "pretty" person.
That is one thing that I want my teenage daughter to learn. So, here are a couple of things I want to start with.

1. " pretty is, as pretty does" for people look at you from the inside in as well as the outside.
To my lovely daughter, who is learning how to grow in today's society, please hear me when I tell you that your actions really do count and people will remember the kind of attitude you present towards others. Some people, well, they may not care, but the MOST important people will.
2. attitude is everything, and I say that to show you that sometimes things in life, will go your way. But other times, they won't. So, always have the attitude that you can and will do your best to accomplish life's little twists and turns. Life is not easy, but having a good attitude towards things will get you farther.
3. "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" again is one thing that I want my daughter to carry with her as she goes into her daily routine of school. It is so very hard to always have this feeling when others are hurting you, but please learn how to do the best you can with this. You will go far in life treating others how you wish to be treated.

I will be writing more topics as time goes on, because there are so many things I want to tell my child to be able to carry with her in this life, especially being a teenager and facing life's hardships. Of course, there are going to be many wonderful days, but being a teen is challenging to today's teens.

No comments: