Thursday, April 24, 2008

Teens and Keeping Fit

Keeping fit, even for a teen, can be a challenge. It doesn't matter how much you weigh. Yesterday, my daughter's school was conducting a program of fitness, to see how fit the kids are and if they need to give more attention to p.e. in our schools. Even though my daughter is only 106 pounds, she was sure given a challenge when it came to running a mile. She told me that she hyper-ventilated from breathing so hard. Several years back, she used to ride her bike, every single day after school.....but not anymore. She's in band, but they aren't in marching season so she pretty much has a laid back kind of day, except for the 7 minutes in between classes to get back and forth from one campus to another. I thought that perhaps this is enough excercise. What kind of activities do your teens do to keep in shape? Besides horse jumping and training, my daughter doesn't ride her bike anymore, so I am wondering if she is as fit as she should be? Should they bring more p.e. classes back into the schools? What do you think?

No comments: